Don’t have an account? Register now.
For your privacy, Lakeshore will not be sending your information to any third party.
Students create unique time capsules to preserve their fun summer memories!
This activity is appropriate for:
pre-k - 3rd grade / 4 - 8 years
You will need:
- Have each student pick a sturdy container to use as their time capsule, such as a shoe box or an old plastic container.
- Encourage students to bring in pictures of places and things that mean a lot to them, such as their bedroom, house, yard, school, pet, family or friends. Make sure that they bring some photos of themselves, too! Place the photos in a sealed waterproof bag to protect them against moisture.
- Have students trace their hands and feet on blank pieces of paper, and write their name and the date on the paper.
- Tell students to get some help measuring their height with string. Have them cut the string at the exact height. Then, they can put a piece of tape on it and label it “My Height,” along with the date.
- Have students scan through a newspaper and cut out pictures or articles about important current events.
- Have each student complete an All About Me worksheet.
- Students can also add an old favorite toy, book or item of clothing they have outgrown. If they are involved in sports or activities, they can include items to represent these.
- When all the items have been gathered, instruct students to place everything in the container and seal it shut. Have them label the container with their name, the date it was completed and the date it should be opened.
- Tell students to store the capsule in a safe place until it’s ready to be opened!