Don’t have an account? Register now.
For your privacy, Lakeshore will not be sending your information to any third party.
These simple-to-make water toys are sure to beat the summer heat!
This activity is appropriate for:
preschool - 5th grade / 5 - 10 years
You will need:
- Rectangular kitchen sponges in a variety of colors (two sponges per student)
- Jute twine or string
- Give a generous length of jute twine or string and a pair of scissors to each student.
- Have students select two sponges each to use for their sponge splashers. (Colors can be the same or different.)
- Invite students to cut each of their sponges lengthwise into four roughly equal strips.
- Show students how to stack their sponge strips so that they align evenly (four strips across and two strips high).
- Have students place the twine or string underneath the stacks of sponges, across the center.
- Help students pull the ends of the twine as tightly as possible around the bundle and secure with a double knot.
- Trim the excess pieces of the twine, and the sponge splashers are ready to go.
- Encourage students to take their sponge splashers home for water play, or to have a fun-filled “water day” at school!