Don’t have an account? Register now.
For your privacy, Lakeshore will not be sending your information to any third party.
These adorable little toy boats are super-simple to make—and lots of fun to play with!
This activity is appropriate for:
preschool - 1st grade / 3 - 6 years
You will need:
- Cut out a triangle from construction paper to make your sail. Decorate it with markers, crayons or colored pencils.
- Punch three holes along one side of your sail.
- Lace a plastic straw through the holes to serve as a mast.
- Place a small ball of dough on the inside of the lid, as close to the center as you can. Push the mast into the dough.
- Put your boat on the water and sail away!
Let children play with their new boats in a water table. Older children can conduct a simple flotation experiment. Have them place pennies in the lid, one at a time. How many pennies can their boat hold before it sinks? Which child’s boat can hold the most pennies?