Don’t have an account? Register now.
For your privacy, Lakeshore will not be sending your information to any third party.
Celebrate National Robotics Week (April 4–12) and Earth Day with these fun-to-make robots!
This activity is appropriate for:
kindergarten – 5th grade / 5 – 10 years
You will need:
- Recycled boxes of varying sizes (e.g., empty macaroni boxes, toaster pastry boxes, small cereal boxes, etc.)
- Colored Foil Sheets
- Colored Wiggly Eyes
- Fancy Pipe Stems - Class Set
- Glitter Glue Painters
- Construction Paper - 9" x 12" (variety of colors)
- Best-Buy Scissors
- Collage Buttons, Collage Beads or other collage materials
- The Robot Book by Heather Brown
- Have each student select a recycled box to use for the robot.
- Invite students to cover the front, back, top and sides of their boxes by gluing on the colored foil sheets. (You may want to complete this step in advance for younger students.)
- Encourage children to decorate the robot using the glitter painters, construction paper (cut into shapes they choose), wiggly eyes and a variety of collage materials (e.g., buttons, beads, bolts, gems, etc.).
- Have students glue pipe stems to the top of the box robot for antennae and to the bottom for legs!