Don’t have an account? Register now.
For your privacy, Lakeshore will not be sending your information to any third party.
Get your Independence Day parade started with these easy-to-make noisemakers!
This activity is appropriate for:
preschool - 2nd grade / 4 - 7 years
You will need:
- Clean, empty 20-oz. water bottles with labels removed (one per student)
- Fancy Pipe Stems - Class Set
- Craft Tape Pack - 1" Bright Colors
- Glitter Pom-Poms
- Glitter Glue Painters
- Uncooked rice (about 3/4 cup per student)
- White vinegar
- Food coloring (red and blue)
- Quart-sized zip-close plastic bags
- Small plastic funnels
- Large serving spoon or scoop (about 1/4 cup)
- Sheet of wax paper or a shallow foil pan
Before you begin:
- Dye the uncooked rice blue or red by placing one teaspoon of white vinegar, one teaspoon of water and several drops of food coloring in a quart-sized zip-close plastic bag.
- Pour in one cup of uncooked rice, close the bag and shake or swish the rice around until it is coated in color. (If the color is not saturated enough, add a few more drops of food coloring.)
- Empty the contents of the bag onto a sheet of wax paper or a shallow foil pan and allow rice to dry for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Repeat this process until you have as much colored rice as you need (about 1/4 cup of each color per student).
- Give each student an empty water bottle, two sparkly pipe stems (in red, blue or silver) and several red and blue pom-poms.
- Show students how to twist their pipe stems around a pencil to curl them slightly.
- Have students place the curled pipe stems and pom-poms inside their bottles.
- Help students use a scoop and a funnel to add about 1/4 cup each of blue, red and plain white rice to their bottles. Then have them tightly close the bottles.
- Provide students with blue or red craft tape and encourage them to wrap a strip or two around the top or bottom of their bottles?being sure to leave most of the bottles clear so that their contents are readily visible when shaken.
- Invite students to use glitter painters to decorate the craft tape with stars, stripes or sayings such as “Happy Fourth of July!” or “U.S.A.”
- Encourage students to use their noisemakers to celebrate Independence Day!