Don’t have an account? Register now.
For your privacy, Lakeshore will not be sending your information to any third party.
Basket making is a form of art in many cultures. Kids can exercise their creative side and make a papier-mâché basket!
This activity is appropriate for:
kindergarten - 3rd grade / 5 - 8 years
You will need:
- Best-Buy School Glue
- Best-Buy Scissors
- Lakeshore Fully Washable Liquid Tempera Paint - 1 Pint
- Natural-Bristle Paintbrushes - 10-Color Set
- Small bowls
- Plastic wrap
- Turn a small bowl upside down and cover the entire outside surface with plastic wrap.
- Mix equal portions of glue and water in a separate bowl.
- Help children cut or tear newspaper into strips.
- Invite children to dip a strip of newspaper into the glue and water mixture. Squeeze any excess mixture off of the strip, then press it onto the plastic-wrapped bowl. Have children repeat this process, overlapping the newspaper strips until the surface of the bowl is covered.
- Set the bowl aside for several days to dry. Once it has dried, separate the papier-mâché bowl from the plastic-wrapped bowl.
- Encourage children to paint their papier-mâché baskets any way they like. Set them aside to dry.
- Once they have dried, children can decorate their baskets with collage materials.
- Children are now ready to tote or store items in their own colorful baskets!