Don’t have an account? Register now.
For your privacy, Lakeshore will not be sending your information to any third party.
These cute table toppers are the perfect winter decoration for every home!
This activity is appropriate for:
pre-k - 3rd grade / 4 - 8 years
You will need:
- Child-sized tube socks (in a variety of holiday colors)
- Styrofoam balls (approximately 3 inches in diameter)
- Collage Pots - Set of 15 or styrofoam cups*
- Lakeshore Fully Washable Liquid Tempera Paint - 1 Pint (white)
- Natural-Bristle Paintbrushes - 10-Color Set
- Wiggly Eyes
- Pom-Poms or Collage Buttons
- Felt (in a variety of holiday colors)
- Tacky Glue
- Safety Scissors
- Pipe Stems
- Old newspaper or butcher paper
- Black markers
- *If you use styrofoam cups, you will need 2-inch styrofoam balls.
- Cut the felt into strips that are about 9 inches long and ¼ inch wide. You will need one strip for each student.
- Cut off each sock at the heel so that only the tube part is remaining. Each student will need a sock.
- Protect students’ workspace with old newspaper or butcher paper. Then provide each student with a collage pot, paint and paintbrush.
- Instruct students to turn their pots upside down and paint the outside and top of the pots white. Allow the paint to dry overnight.
- Give each student a pair of wiggly eyes and a styrofoam ball. Have students glue on the wiggly eyes and complete the face by drawing a mouth and nose with a marker.
- Help each student place a sock over the top half of the ball to make a hat. Secure the sock with glue if needed. Then use a pipe stem to tie the sock closed, leaving about an inch of fabric at the end. Cut slits in the fabric to create fringe.
- Encourage students to glue two or three pom-poms (or buttons) in a column on their pots. This will be the front of the snowman’s body.
- Help each student glue the snowman’s head to the top of the pot. Allow the glue to dry.
- Have each student glue a felt strip around the snowman’s neck to make a scarf. Invite students to take their completed snowmen home to use as a seasonal centerpiece!