For your privacy, Lakeshore will not be sending your information to any third party.
Children make colorful miniature kites to welcome the first signs of spring!
This activity is appropriate for:
preschool - 3rd grade / 3 - 8 years
You will need:
- Print the kite template and cut out the kites and bows. Trace them onto posterboard or tagboard, cut them out and distribute them to students to use for tracing.
- Have each student choose a scrap of gift wrap. Have students trace the kite shape onto the scrap and cut it out. (Younger students may need help with cutting, but encourage them to try tracing the diamond shape themselves. Remind them that it doesn’t need to be perfect!)
- Give each student two craft sticks. Help students glue the craft sticks in a cross shape onto the backs of their kites. Allow the glue to dry.
- Staple a strip of ribbon onto the bottom of each kite to create a tail.
- Prompt students to trace 3–4 bows onto construction paper and cut them out.
- Help students glue the bows onto their kite tails to complete their kites.
- Teach students the following poem and encourage them to use their colorful kites to act it out!
Kites In Spring
In April, spring is here again—
Cold weather says good-bye!
The flowers start to grow and bloom,
And kites begin to fly!
Lifted by a gentle wind
And soaring way up high,
They sail right past the fluffy clouds
Across a bright blue sky!