Don’t have an account? Register now.
For your privacy, Lakeshore will not be sending your information to any third party.
These friendly scarecrow puppets will add hands-on fun to fall songs, rhymes, and chants!
This activity is appropriate for:
preschool - 3rd grade / 3 - 8 years
You will need:
- Reproduce the scarecrow hat template on sheets of brown, orange, red, and yellow construction paper. Let students choose the color of their hat; then provide each student with a paper plate and glue.
- Have students place their plates facedown. Prompt them to cut out the hats and glue them to the top edge of the plate.
- Instruct students to glue on wiggly eyes and crinkle strips for hair.
- Have students cut out a triangular nose from construction paper and glue it on their scarecrow. Encourage them to add a smile with a black marker or crayon. Two more triangles can become a collar hanging off the bottom of the plate and two circles can be cheeks.
- Help each student tie a piece of ribbon into a bow and glue it onto the bottom edge of the plate. (For younger students, pre-tie the ribbon into bows.)
- Instruct students to flip over the plate and attach a jumbo craft stick to the bottom of the plate with glue (or tape).
- When the scarecrow puppets are complete, teach students this poem. Encourage volunteers to use their scarecrow puppets to act out the story.
Five friendly scarecrows sitting on some hay—
One hopped up and ran away.
Four friendly scarecrows sitting on some hay—
One went off with a friend to play.
Three friendly scarecrows sitting on some hay—
One rowed a boat across the bay.
Two friendly scarecrows sitting on some hay—
One told the other, “I cannot stay.”
One friendly scarecrow sitting on some hay—
Enjoying the cool October day!