Don’t have an account? Register now.
For your privacy, Lakeshore will not be sending your information to any third party.
Design a crazy creature using rocks of any shape or size!
This activity is appropriate for:
1st - 3rd grade / 6 - 8 years
You will need:
- Have students wash their rocks with warm, soapy water. If the rock has nooks and crannies, use an old toothbrush to get all the dirt out. Let it dry.
- Have students pick the main color for their monster’s “body”—green, blue, red, etc. Have them paint the entire rock that color. Let it dry.
- Then, have students paint a bean shape for the monster’s mouth with black paint. Let it dry.
- Instruct students to use a toothpick and white paint to paint pointy teeth on the black mouth.
- Now, students can dot on eyes with white paint. Using a toothpick, they can add black or red dots for the eyes after the white paint has dried.
- Have students use the handle end of a paintbrush to dot on yellow spots (or any color spots they choose).
- If students want to add eyebrows, they can use a black marker, or a toothpick and black paint.
- Have students cut crinkle strips or yarn into pieces ½" long.
- Instruct students to add some glue to the top of the rock monster’s “head” and spread it out with a finger. Encourage students not to use too much glue or the yarn will slide off.
- Have students gently place the yarn pieces (standing up) on top of the glue. Let it dry completely.