Life Cycle Froggy
Life Cycle Froggy
For your privacy, Lakeshore will not be sending your information to any third party.
Leap into life-cycle study with this fun-to-make frog!
This activity is appropriate for:
preschool - 1st grade / 3 - 6 years
You will need:
- Frog legs template and “My Froggy Friend” reproducible
- Colored Wiggly Eyes
- Construction Paper - 9" x 12" (red and green)
- Lakeshore Fully Washable Liquid Tempera - 1 Gallon (green)
- Painting Bowls - 10-Color Set
- Classroom Paintbrushes - Set of 24
- Paper plates
- Old newspaper or butcher paper
- Photocopy the frog legs template onto green construction paper. You will need one for each student.
- Photocopy the “My Froggy Friend” reproducible onto red construction paper. Cut out one poem strip for each student.
- Cover students’ work space with old newspaper or butcher paper.
- Pour green liquid tempera into painting bowls for students to share.
- Give each student a paper plate and a paintbrush. Have students turn their plates upside down and paint the bottom green. Allow the plates to dry.
- Have students fold their plates in half. Help students staple the plates closed on each side near the fold.
- Give each student a copy of the frog legs template. Have students cut out the front and hind legs and glue them to the bottom of the plate (so the legs stick out from beneath the plate).
- Have students glue wiggly eyes to the top of the plate.
- Give each student one poem strip. Instruct students to glue the blank end of the strip just inside the frog’s mouth. Then have students roll up the strip so it looks like the frog’s tongue.
- Show students how to uncurl the frog’s tongue to reveal the poem!
Introduce students to the life cycle of a frog. Invite students to read “My Froggy Friend” aloud together. (For younger students, have them repeat each line after you.) Ask student volunteers to point out where each stage of the life cycle is mentioned in the poem!