Don’t have an account? Register now.
For your privacy, Lakeshore will not be sending your information to any third party.
Celebrate Columbus Day with this handmade globe!
This activity is appropriate for:
1st - 4th grade / 6 - 10 years
You will need:
- To prepare the project: Tear strips of newspaper about 1 inch wide, and blow up and tie a round balloon for each child or group. (Note: If each child has his own balloon, this project can be very time-consuming, so having students work together in small groups is recommended.)
- Have students apply papier-mâché to the balloon by dipping strips of newspaper into the water-flour mixture, wiping off the excess, and wrapping the strips around the surface of the balloon. Instruct students to cover the surface completely at least three times. Let it dry overnight. The balloon can then be burst and will tear itself away from the inside of the dried globe.
- Have students paint the entire surface of their globes with a layer of blue paint.
- Print out the Continent Outlines Template provided and have students color and cut out each continent.
- Show students a globe of the Earth and help them glue their continents in the appropriate location on their balloon globes. Encourage students to mark an “X” on the location where they live!