Father’s Day Frames
Father’s Day Frames
For your privacy, Lakeshore will not be sending your information to any third party.
Handmade picture frames are the perfect Father’s Day keepsakes!
This activity is appropriate for:
preschool - 2nd grade / 3 - 7 years
You will need:
- Picture frame template, “Happy Father’s Day!” reproducible & “My Dad, My Hero” reproducible
- Foam Sheets
- Lakeshore Fully Washable Liquid Tempera - Pints
- Natural-Bristle Paintbrushes - 10-Color Set
- Recycled newspaper or butcher paper
- Painting Bowls - 10-Color Set
- Tacky Glue
- Peel & Stick Jewels , Flexible Foam Shapes or other decorative collage materials
Before you begin:
- Print the “My Dad, My Hero” reproducible and make enough copies for every student in your class.
- Print the “Happy Father’s Day!” reproducible and cut out one banner for each student.
- Print out the picture frame template and trace it onto foam sheets. Cut out one picture frame for each student. (You may want to ask parent volunteers to assist with this step.)
- Cover a large table with recycled newspaper or butcher paper.
- Pour tempera paint into painting bowls and set the bowls out on the table.
- Invite each student to select a foam sheet frame. Have students decorate the edges of their frame with a variety of collage materials. Instruct them to leave the top edge blank.
- Give each student a “Happy Father’s Day!” banner and encourage students to glue it onto the top edge of the frame.
- As students are working, invite a few at a time to the painting table. Have students choose a paint color for their handprint.
- Place a copy of the “My Dad, My Hero” reproducible in front of each student. Have students sign their name at the bottom of the poem. Then help paint each student's hand with paint and press it firmly down on the paper next to the poem. Instruct students to hold their hand in place for a few seconds and then lift their hand straight up so they don’t smear the handprint.
- After the handprints have dried for a few hours (or overnight), have students glue the frames onto the page, taking care not to cover the poem or handprint. Let the glue dry.
- Tape a piece of yarn to the back of each completed frame for easy display. Invite students to take their frames home and give them to their dads on Father’s Day!