Don’t have an account? Register now.
For your privacy, Lakeshore will not be sending your information to any third party.
These super-safe lanterns will help students light the way on their next hiking adventure!
This activity is appropriate for:
preschool - 3rd grade / 4 - 8 years
You will need:
Before you begin:Have adult volunteers drill or poke two small holes in the top of opposite sides of the plastic jar lids. These will be the holes through which students will insert their pipe stems to create a “handle” for their lanterns.
- Give each student a plastic jar and a lid; a few pieces of red, orange and yellow tissue paper; and a pair of scissors.
- Have students cut their tissue paper into triangles of various sizes to create flames.
- Show students how to use the glue sticks to line the bottom two-thirds of the outside of the jar with their flames.
- Instruct each student to select a pipe stem and thread each end through the holes in the lid of the jar, and then tape the ends of the pipe stem securely to the inside of the lid. The pipe stem will serve as the handle of the lantern.
- Help students secure the bottom of one battery-operated tea light to the inside bottom of each jar with a loop of tape.
- Have students screw the lids onto their jars to complete their camping lanterns!