Don’t have an account? Register now.
For your privacy, Lakeshore will not be sending your information to any third party.
Children make and decorate their own colorful butterfly friend using all sorts of fun craft materials!
This activity is appropriate for:
kindergarten - 3rd grade / 5 - 8 years
You will need:
- Fold a sheet of 12" x 18" white construction paper in half so it measures 9" x 12".
- Unfold and drip several different colors of tempera paint on one half of the paper. Then fold the paper along the original crease and press down so that you smear the paint between the two halves. Unfold and set aside to dry.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 with a second sheet of white construction paper.
- Use the Butterfly Template to trace and cut out butterfly wings from each piece of painted construction paper. Paint the edges of the wings silver. Allow to dry.
- Place the wings back-to-back and staple together around the edges, leaving a small opening.
- Stuff your butterfly with recycled paper. Then finish stapling the two sides together.
- Trace and cut out the butterfly body and two antennae from brown construction paper.
- Glue the antennae to the body and glue the body to the wings.
- Embellish with spangles and sequins. Glue on wiggly eyes.
- Punch a hole near the top of the butterfly and tie a loop of yarn through to make a hanger. Display your butterfly anywhere!