Don’t have an account? Register now.
For your privacy, Lakeshore will not be sending your information to any third party.
This easy-to-make craft will have your students soaring with excitement for National Aviation Day!
This activity is appropriate for:
preschool - 3rd grade / 3 - 8 years
You will need:
- Give each student one colored clothespin, two jumbo colored craft sticks and one colored craft stick.
- Instruct students to glue the two jumbo craft sticks horizontally across the closed part of the clothespin.
Note: Have them glue one on the top of the clothespin and one on the bottom to create a biplane effect. Be careful to not get glue on the hinged portion.
- Have students glue the remaining smaller craft stick parallel to the other craft sticks at the other end of the clothespin for the tail wings of the plane.
- Allow the glue to dry completely.
- Finally, help students attach one or two Peel & Stick Magnet Dots to the backside of the clothespin.
- Read aloud How People Learned to Fly by Fran Hodgkins, and point out that August 19 is National Aviation Day!
- Celebrate by having students write about how modern aviation has changed the way we live using the National Aviation Day writing frame. Then clip students’ writing to their airplane and display it in the classroom, or have students take their writing home and use their airplane magnets to display their work on the refrigerator or other magnetic surface.